Personal Injury Claim For Children


Experiencing a personal injury is one thing, but watching your child get injured because of someone else’s negligence can be hard to cope with. Children are an essential part of a parent’s life, and no amount of money can compensate for that kind of pain. However, if your child needs treatment, you should not have to pay for it with money out of your own pocket.

By filing a personal injury claim for your child, you can obtain compensation for their injuries and other damages. A personal injury case of a child is handled differently than an adult’s case. A Wyoming personal injury lawyer can help you understand the differences and seek justice for your child. 

Who is considered a “child” in a personal injury claim for children?

If your child has been injured due to someone else’s negligence and they are under the age of 18, they are a child or a minor in the eyes of the law. This means that your child cannot represent themselves in court and make an accident claim by themselves. An adult has to represent them. In most cases, children are represented by their parents. The adult who represents them is called their “next friend.” 

Does your child have a claim?

Any child under 18 and who has suffered injuries due to another person’s negligence is eligible for a case. If the following points apply to your child, they can file for compensation. 

  • The injury has affected your child’s education; that is, they are unable to attend school.
  • Your child’s development is affected. 
  • The injury has caused them to acquire a condition or pain that they have to live with for a long time. 
  • Your child has to stay hospitalized for a long period.

What to do when your child gets injured in a personal injury case?

The first step should be taking your child to see a doctor and diagnose their condition. It is imperative to document their injuries when they are still fresh right after the accident. This helps in understanding the extent of their injuries, which helps in calculating the compensation. 

After the accident, make sure you note down the time, date, location, and other essential details of the accident. If the incident took place in a public place, talk to witnesses and take their contact information. You should immediately report the mishap to the authorities and file a complaint. A guardian or “next friend” can then start the injury claim procedure with the help of a solicitor.