Everyone knows that accidents happen, and that they can hurt people who genuinely didn’t do anything wrong. It can happen to anyone, regardless of how careful you are when you’re driving. No matter who started the accident, it’s clear that there will be a financial loss and potential physical damage.
Most people assume the only person who needs a lawyer after a car accident is the person who caused the accident. It’s a common misconception—one that’s easy to assume. After all, if you’re the cause of a car accident, it’s assumed that you would need representation for a legal defense.
But, what if you weren’t the one at fault? What if you were a blameless victim, who might have been injured during the crash? Do you still need to seek out a personal injury attorney? Is it really worth it? Absolutely.
Why Do I Need A Lawyer?
Believe it or not, people who are blameless for the accidents they were in are the ones who need a lawyer the most. Here’s why:
- If you were blameless and were injured, you are entitled to ask for compensation. A single car accident can lead to thousands of dollars in lost wages, worsened by medical bills and serious debt. A lawyer can help you ask for compensation and compile a case proving that it’s owed to you.
- Going it alone may mean you accept less than what you deserve. You would be shocked at how many costs occur with a single accident. Along with wage loss, you may need to have transportation bills, insurance fees, and more to take into consideration. A lawyer can help ensure that you’re asking for the right amount and not taking a low-ball settlement.
- Victims also may need assistance when it comes to determining liability. In a multi-car accident, it can be very difficult to determine who was actually at fault. Even in a two-car accident, there could be multiple parties you can hold liable for your injuries. Having a car accident attorney on hand can help you pursue the right people, saving you from wasting needless time and effort.
- A car crash lawyer can also help prevent others from intimidating you into silence. People who cause serious accidents may try to intimidate you into dropping a lawsuit, hoping that they can get off scot-free. Calling a lawyer can stop the intimidation from happening…and can help you get the justice you deserve.
- You might still be subpoenaed. Even if you were not the one who was at fault for the accident, you may still be required to go to court to testify. A lawyer can help you ensure that you give accurate testimony and are able to navigate through the process.
- Some drivers may also try to push the blame onto victims. This is one of the biggest reasons why you should call a lawyer the moment you have an accident. Unscrupulous drivers will do anything to push the blame onto someone who is not them. A good lawyer will coach you on what to say and do to defend yourself against this kind of attack. Leaving yourself uninformed can potentially lead to you wrongly admitting fault, which can place you liable for damages you shouldn’t owe.
Get Help When You Need It
Being an innocent victim in a car accident is bad enough, but when you have to deal with a potential lawsuit, it can make anyone feel like your life is falling apart. The legal world can be a very stressful, lonely arena for a victim, too. Thankfully, you don’t have to go at it alone. Finding the right legal team will help make this process easier. So don’t delay, find the right lawyer for you today!